Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Blog 11

I have chosen to write about Beneatha and how she represents modern feminism in my research. I chose to write about Beneatha because of all the characters I related to her the most. I was first attracted to her because she is a college student with dreams of being a doctor. I myself want to be a doctor so that really makes a difference to me. I really liked that Beneatha was so independent. She did not want to marry a man because he could support her but she wanted to marry because she and he truly loved each other. She also made it very clear that she wanted a man to love her in every sense, not just because she was pretty or because she could cook and clean. The men in her life nor the women for that matter could really respect Beneatha’s desire for her own identity. Walter wished she would just be like other women, Asagai and George wanted her to be a trophy, and Ruth and Lena wanted her to just appreciate being a woman and fulfill her womanly “duties”. It might be important to other readers because Beneatha was standing up and being different at a time when women just were not doing that at all. So I would not necessarily say that my research or thesis addresses being a human purse` but it does address how one is treated as a result of who they are. In Beneatha’s case, she was born a woman! She cannot help that, however she is judged and viewed differently because she is a woman. I do not think it really addresses how to live a good life either. I really think Hansberry wanted to show black women that they too could have part in the women’s independence area. Beneatha knew what she want and she would not settle just because her dream did not line up with the average person’s dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment